Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Let me introduce you to cocotte, she's French

When I dream about my future kitchen, it includes, but is not limited to, a red Kitchenaid Mixer and a Red Le Creuset pot. Red apparently stimulates the appetite (scientific fact!), but the color is also so "saucy" that I love it.

Here comes the bubble burst: both these red beauties cost upwards of $250. Woah! I usually associate the two with gifts that you get only off of a wedding registry, thus because I am not making lots of money and because I am not getting married anytime soon, I figured I could kiss the two beauties goodbye and leave them in dreamland. Sometimes I also think I'm just not "mature" enough to own them yet, since I associate maturity with owning my own kitchen.

That sensibility still doesn't mean that I don't try. I visit them in the stores, I go to outlets, I check online for deals, and even after receiving some money from my brother for my birthday to "use as my heart desired", I just couldn't do it. $258 ($239 on sale!) was just too much for me even if there were hundreds of recipes in which I "needed" a cast iron pot.
As I convince myself of how useful the gadgets can be, the frugal part of me always kicks in before the purchase. I think I inherit that from my father. I thank him for that.
Back to the discount store I go, and that evening, I made a new kind of dinner.

I have a special someone to thank for that beef roast dinner.
Here's my new baby: she's not red and she's a little scratched up, but she is French, and she only set me back $9.99. At just 4% of the initial price (mathematical fact!), how could I not try her out? I love her just the same.


So this along with the kitchenaid replacement (read: handheld mixer) that I got from target at $5.99, officially puts my version of the dream kitchen at a total of $16 (tax excluded).
Thanks dad for helping me to save money.

3 comments:

  1. She's so cute! And, I approve of the name :) Right now I feel that my parent's hand-me-down handheld mixer fulfills 90% of my baking needs. One day we'll have our KitchenAid mixers ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yolanda, one day we will...and then we'll make all the crusts, breads, pastas, and other food items that are rumored to be too complicated for just two hands. Maybe this means we're more talented and ambidextrous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That red Kitchenaid is one of my dreams too! Some day...

    ReplyDelete