Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Amsterdam, Part II

In Amsterdam, I fell in love with the waffles, or specifically the stroopwaffles of the Netherlands. These are a specific waffle sandwich that consist of a layer of caramel surrounded by two thin waffles, or pizelles. It's usually eaten slightly warm, and when you buy them pre-made, the custom is to put the stroopwaffle over your cup of hot coffee or tea so that it softens and warms just the right amount from the hot steam. They are so popular that I did even find stroopwaffles on sale in the Starbucks in Amsterdam. Some days, I still crave them, just not enough to go out and buy my own pizelle maker (although I did find a recipe online already)
Below are some representative images of a local bakery. I wanted to take EVERYTHING home. yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment