Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Orchids

Needless to say, my mom is amazingly talented. One of her many side talents "stems" to her green thumb and innate ability to keep delicate and VERY fickle orchids in full bloom year after year. If you have ever been to my house in San Diego, then you may have noticed that she usually has orchids everywhere (especially after my brother's wedding).

This is probably one of the many reasons that orchids are one of my favorite flowers (the other being lilies, and a few more up for debate). Unfortunately, they are also probably the most expensive of flowers, and thus keeping them alive is always worth striving for but always hard to accomplish.

So you can imagine my shear joy when I received a pot of beautiful, brilliant, beaming orchids as a gift for successfully completing one of the more difficult weeks of my PhD. They were perfect, but as I placed her (yes, it's a girl) on a pedestal in lab, fear set in that I would kill all the flowers instantly.

Well, weeks later, I'm happy to report that the mixture of fear, careful monitoring, love, and calls to my mom were the perfect recipe for keeping my orchid alive. She has not only grown, but she's doubled in size!

Here she is in all her glory (Then & Now):

No comments:

Post a Comment